Sunday, March 20, 2005

Starstruck: My First Week at Work

I never realized that being "the new kid" isn't easy. I studied in the same elementary and high school for 12 years so I never got the chance to experience being the new kid. When I entered college, all the freshmen were new kids so we were pretty much on the same boat. When I joined orgs, or even when I went to Singapore, I was with other people who were also experiencing everything for the first time so I never felt completely out of place.

I started my new job this week and for the first time, I am the new kid! I am the new editorial assistant of Candy magazine and I am joining a strong, six-woman team who have been together for many months, even years! It's like trying to join a barkada and not quite knowing where I fit in. For my first three days, I have been reading and documenting past magazine issues, answering the phone ("Candy, hello?"), and basically doing whatever they tell me. I also attended an editorial workshop which was interesting, but like English grammar class all over again!

The highlight of my first week at work was definitely the Candy Rap Awards 2005. There were a lot of great bands like Spongecola, Kjwan (Marc Abaya is hot!!!), Hale, and Parokya ni Edgar. A lot of celebrities and models were there too (there was definitely no dearth of cute guys)! But my personal favorites are the first batch of Starstruck Teens! I finally got to see Mark, Jennylyn, Rainier, Yasmien, and the others in person! Rainier is such a cutie!!! I don't care if people say he can't act, sing, or dance. His heartwarming smile is enough to leave me starstruck! Love Struck (Okay, I think my sisters and my friends are going to disown me now!) It was definitely a fun night (not to mention I was sitting in the VIP section -- a mere 15 feet away from Rainier!), but it would have been better if I had experienced it with equally starstruck friends who would scream and be kilig with me!

Tomorrow is the start of another week at work. We're brainstorming for the next issue and I'll get a chance to attend some photo shoots. I just hope I get over the "new kid syndrome" soon. It's ironic how working in Summit may seem like the "safe" choice because it's so near my house and a lot of people are from my school... but the truth is, it's a great leap from my comfort zone. It requires me to be more assertive and independent. It may not be as far as Singapore, but I don't have the fellows to rely on here, I must rely on myself. It's time to let the Sagittarius side of me emerge! After all, I'm a Candy girl now! Til the next update!

Cruisin' with Celebs: Me and popular Pinoy band, Parokya ni Edgar. March 19, 2005.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoooaaa!!!!! parokya pic!!!!!! *drool* kakainggit!!! ;)

good luck Angel! i'm sure in no time at all you'll feel right at home at work (or something like that, hehe ;p). have fun!

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

madami ka na bang freebies? my EA friend from Pink gets a lot, like boxes of shampoo,napkins, etc, that she can practically have her own sari-sari store! dami rin free kikay stuff like makeup, clothes, shoes... naku you're so gonna enjoy the perks!Ü

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

may blog ka pla d ka nagsasabi sakin!!!hehe d ka na nagkwekwen2 sakin!...hurthurt...tampo na ako syo!:) sobrang interested pa naman ako sa work mo!...haayyy...hehe anyways, ganda!hehe may pic ka pa with parokya d mo ko ininvite!hehe joke!:) galing ange!:) keep it up!:) il visit frequently.:)

11:35 PM  
Blogger G.V. said...

Hey Angel! Remember me? I come from that same "12 years of convent education" background. *sighs* Congrats on your job and your first day of work. :) btw, is Miss Bau anywhere there near you? Someone said she was working there.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your special memories and pleasant experiences.
You are always welcome back to Singapore. All the best and may God bless you :)

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home